Thursday, July 2, 2009

My Birth Story - As Told by My Dad

In a few days. 30 years old.
(Inter Office Communication.. In the Old Days. Before Email. Funny)



June 23, 2009

Jennifer

Did you mess up the Fourth of July Bar-B-Q or what? Just what I wanted to do is leave the pool in the Country and spend the day in the hospital. I wanted mom's Dr. cousin to deliver you in the Country but NOOOO.

We waited until your mom threatened my life. Good thing the pork chops just came off the grill. I got a to-go box.

We were going to stop at home and pick up mom's overnight bag, but by then it was too late. She said take me to the hospital, you PIG!!!! Women about to deliver babies are the meanest things in the world. Make sure you never give them a pencil as she will stick it in your eye.

I dropped mom off at the emergency room. I parked the car and registered mom. As I was filling out insurance paperwork...

Admittance lady........ring, hello, ok I will send him right up.

So I am in the elevator wondering what's the rush. Brian took 19+ hours of labor and mom wasn't in labor yet?

I got off the elevator and walked into the labor room with other moaning women (who may stick a pencil in your eye) but mom wasn't there. I ran down the hall and finally found her in delivery.

There nurses where running around like crazy people. I think someone is dying. I said what is wrong Sister. The nun said nothing is wrong, but the baby is going to beat the doctor to this birth.

Then a wonderful baby crying started. The baby was here within 3 hours, all natural delivery no drugs...not by choice. I think Jennifer actually fell out and the nun caught her before she ran out of cord or hit the floor.

Little girl was in baby warming thingy when the Dr. walked in with bar-b-q sauce on his t-shirt. I said, so doc do I still had to pay you since the good sister delivered the baby? The Dr. said you bet you have to pay me, my 4th of July has also been ruined.

The rest of the day was spent with the new baby, the four grandparents, the GREAT grandmother Gammy. Donna talked on the phone with the entire extended family still at the BBQ in the country.

No I didn't drive back for left over Bar-B-Q. I thought about it however.

That was 30 years ago wow, what a joy. My daughter has been a real blessing. Jennifer I wish you the best and may you experience childbirth and motherhood.

Love Dad


***My dad has been trying to get a blog post since I started this thing. Here you go dad!***

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

O man! I love the inter-office memo. And how great that your Dad kept it all this time (very long long time you old fart). It is also obviouss now where you get your humor from. Now your nose kazoo skills are a different stroy...

Anonymous said...

I forgot you were a 4th of July baby! My sister too. Only she is turning 40 in two days.....
What a great memory to have, straight from your dad, who was there, and probably more coherent than your mother was in labor!!
Happy early birthday!

JT said...

Love it! I returned the favor and posted a tribute to you on my blog. Love you lots and hope you are having an awesome birthday weekend!