Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Store Bought - Not an option

Rule #1: Birthday cakes MUST be homemade.

This year, Chip selected a Cleveland version of a Sicilian dessert; the Cassata.
Hmm. I have never heard of such a cake.
Nor do I have any clue how to make one
But if you want a Cassata cake. You will have one!  

After several hours in the kitchen, he said... I had assumed you would buy one.
That would be the wrong assumption my friend. See rule #1.

I am extremely proud of my four layers! (I need a cake stand)

Chip was happy.

 I learned how to make a new cake. Though I am not sure I will make it very often.
SUCCESS!

He said yellow cake with butter cream icing will suffice next year.
Nah, bring on the challenge; flexing my baking muscles is fun.

8 comments:

JuliE said...

WOW! That looks delicious AND professional. I would like to put in an order now for my birthday.

Anonymous said...

Great job! Looks delicious! Now I am going to have to look up a recipe for Cassata!

C$ said...

Hi Jennifer! I somehow stumbled upon your blog...and wanted to say what's shakin?!?!?! OMG it's been like 15 yrs! Looks like you are still out in Ohio ~ I am living in Portland, Oregon. Wasn't too sure how to PM you on your blog, but here's my email addy: christine.cooney@gmail.com

Hope to hear from you soon :)
Christine Cooney

JT said...

WOW! Look at you go Miss Martha! Quite impressive!

Anonymous said...

Looks very good. wish I had a piece
mom

Tim and Jennie Lindstrom said...

Good job on the cake, it looks so yummy! I totally agree with rule #1, but usually Tim does the cake making! :)

Also, I just wanted to tell you I love reading your blog! You always make me laugh!

Heather said...

Go Jennifer! That looks awesome and so delicious. I am so proud of you (Walt would be too.)

Hillary said...

Looks amazing. Can you overnight me one for Nolan's first birthday next week!!! :)