I do not know if you had a chance to read her story when I originally posted it. I removed it quite quickly due to sad circumstances. I will pick up where I left off.
When we sent Miley to the kennel, we were told about a three days holding period, then she would be transferred to the county shelter. That will work. We can find her a home or a foster in three days. And we did. On day two, I called the kennel so we could arrange a pickup. I was told they transferred Miley that morning. Three days is not 72 hours, but three day days. As in, we had her picked up on Tuesday at 11:00 pm. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday AM she was transferred. Besides... They wouldn't have released her back to us regardless of her current whereabouts. That was and is unacceptable. We were not told any of this. We would have never turned her in. Never.
Fine. I called the county. It was then, I learned she was classified as a Pit Bull. Pit Bulls are NOT adoptable, by anyone, for any reason. Only the owner can get the dog released. A euthanization date was set in three days. We were heart broken as I put up fliers throughout the neighborhood desperate to locate the owner.
Meanwhile, the potential adoptive parent, contacted the rescues in the area and an email campaign ensued to save her. They fought to bring in a scanner to check for a microchip. Surely, she has one. Just let us do it! The newspapers and tv stations were called. Nothing was working.
When the county refused rescue release.... We decided to go down with a picture and try to get her out as our own. We were caught as paperwork was being finalized, due to the hoopla we created beforehand. Essentially, we felt we had signed her death warrant, not once, but twice.
The day after her scheduled date, we called the county. She was still alive. They gave us three more days to find her owner. On that scheduled day, another call was made... They pushed back the date for another week. This went on and on.
As a last ditch effort, someone with some clout, went down to adopt her. He was refused as well. Now they were mad. Very mad. At that point we realized, we had to back away from this. They dug in their heels and we have no other options. Heartbroken, we tried to forget Miley and the consequences of our actions.
Fast forward 7 months. My co-worker said... I overheard people talking about a dog. And I think it is Miley. I saw her, she looks good and happy, but she is still at the county. WHAT!? She went on to say it was a miracle they kept her alive for eight months. There is no good reason they would have saved her.
Tears welled up. The laws have been changed and rescues can adopt out dogs of this breed. We still needed a rescue to step forward. Poor dog has been in the shelter, in the bad dog area, for a long eight months. Is she still the same natured dog? We had no idea.
Last night Chip brought the paper over to me...
Immediately, I sent an email to verify the dog's identity. It is HER!!! She is alive, out of her eight month jail, and at a safe home, while she waits for her forever family.
We are relieved and so thankful to the rescue who took a chance on her.
Here is what we learned and hope to teach others.
1. DO NOT turn in a dog until you know the ramifications of your actions. Once a course is started, it may not be reversible. No matter how hard you try.
2. Check your city's procedures. I am shocked and disappointed. our city. does this.
3. The Microchip in your dog is a false sense of security. Many shelters do not scan.
4. Vets will scan stray dogs. Please take a stray dog to the vet before you do anything.
5. Support your humane societies and rescues. It can cost $95+ dollars for a rescue to pull a dog from a shelter.
No comments:
Post a Comment