Friday, March 4, 2011

Costa Rica - Manuel Antonio Day 5


Before we left Monteverde, we took some time to document our proposal spot.






And our waiters who went above and beyond to make our night special


Then we hit the road. For another bumpy ride. Manuel Antoinio was the relaxing portion of our vacation. Pool, beach, fruity drinks, eating. This is what we intended on accomplishing.

After breakfast, you will meet a Costa Rica Expeditions’ driver (Spanish-speaking) for the 4 1⁄2-hour drive to Manuel Antonio. White-sand beaches, cliffs, promontories, ravines, rivers, rainforests, varied wildlife, beautiful seascapes and a hot climate all describe Manuel Antonio National Park. Located on Costa Rica’s Central Pacific Coast 4.3 miles (7 kms) south of Quepos Harbor.

Our driver spoke very little English, but managed to teach us quite a few things on the road.

He pulled over suddenly and jumped out of the car.
He plucked this guy from a tree.
This is a Cashew Fruit. 
The fruit itself is OK to eat, but  the top cashew portion will burn your lips if consumed.  
So how do we get the nuts?
They roast the tops and that is how you get the cashews you eat.


I don't have any picture support for our next lesson.
I didn't feel comfortable taking pictures of someone's life like it was disneyland.

We pulled over at a little tiny roadside stand.

First, we had some Cashew fruit wine.
It was delicious, but I get the feeling it is something people make in their homes.
Not something you buy at the local liquor store.

We also had some sugar cane juice, which they mix with fruits and make a form of gatoraid.
There were some jokes about male fertility. I hope I don't grow a beard.

Our driver, walked around the farm pointing things out and quizzing us on fruits. He did it in such a way, I felt like we were little kids and he was teaching us life lessons. Did you know there is a fruit that contains loofa like material? I didn't, now I do.  

Again lovely drive.

When we arrived at a hotel. We took a picture of the cruise ship towel elephant.
Apparantly that picture is mandatory.


Then we spent the rest of the evening in the pool.
Love us some Bahama Mamas. Again the fascination with fruity drinks while in the pool, cannot be ignored.


No comments: