Setting: Chip downstairs greeting guests. Jennifer upstairs with Heather and Julie.
It started to get a little late. Chip called upstairs asking for the minister's number. Uh. I have the church number, but I do not have a cell phone for him.
About 15 minutes later, the manager/coordinator came to tell me the minister still had not arrived. Bless his heart, he was very nervous, to tell me. Little did he know, I wasn't that bothered.
My only thought... Everyone is having WAY more fun than I am. So not fair.
Next thought... The minister may be injured or something. Very unlike him
I borrowed a phone and started calling minister #2 at the church. Why wasn't he already on his way down here?
As I was holding for Minister #2, someone flagged down minister #1's car and ushered/dragged him through the door. (30 minutes late)
The rest is history.
Here are the various plans of the day; most of which I did not know about until days later.
A: Minister arrives
B: Cocktail Hour until Minister or another able body shows
C: Chip's sister called a judge. A judge has to get an ok from the probate court to legally perform a marriage. He was however, happy to come down and do a ceremonial wedding. We would have taken care of the legal part on Monday. Oh hilarious. We almost had a fake wedding and didn't even know it?!
D: Chip's brother-in-law discovered a family friend was ordained. Oh my gosh. We run into this guy in the strangest of places. If I walked down the aisle to see him standing there, in probably a graduation gown, I would have laughed too hard to continue.
Concluding Thoughts:
The minister thought the ceremony started at 6:00. It wasn't until afterwards, he discovered why everyone was so frantic. I believe people were thinking one of us backed out. Even though you may be embarrassed to admit it. You have seen it on tv. And you kind of want to attend such a wedding. Sorry guys not this one.
I do not regret the snafu. I love it. It adds character. Nothing goes smoothly and funny things like this make the day that much more memorable. When I am 95 I will re-tell the story every day. Thanks Reverend!
3 comments:
AND I will be your witness that you were SOOOOO calm. So true, it does add some great drama to the day. So glad that he showed up.
I thought it was nice of him to delay things so we could finish our bottle of champagne and just enjoy the moment.
The bottle I hid under the table from my mother so she couldn't have any. That was nice of me.
Post a Comment